When Ike was asked whether he supported his Veep Dick Nixon’s run for the White House in 1960, he said something like, “give me a while and I’ll get back to you.” Eisenhower’s tepid endorsement of Nixon reinforced popular opinion that Nixon was not much liked during the Ike Administration, and Nixon went on to lose the election to JFK.
Fast forward 48 years to John McCain being asked how many houses he owns. He says something like, “give me a while and my staff’ll get back to you.” I think McCain’s tepid knowledge of his own properties, might well lose him the election.
Here’s why. It reminds voters of the following:
1) McCain’s words belie McCain’s life.
2) he is a rich s-o-b, owns 8 or 9 properties, not a common man.
3) he is a hypocrite, portraying self as common man and opponent as the elitist. For the record Obama owns one very nice house in Chicago. McCain was raised a man of means in a privileged military upbringing. Obama was raised by a single mom and his grandmother.
4) He is an angry, crotchety candidate
5) He has an eye for tactical campaign warfare but no strategic vision. McCain saw and opening a few weeks back to hit Obama as a celebrity elitist, and he went for it, with little sense of his own vulnerabilities. Tactically, McCain’s anti-Obama ads were a hit for a couple weeks and are likely responsible for Obama losing a few mid to late August polling points. problem is, McCain’s lack of strategic vision, makes him extremely vulnerable to the counterattack Obama is now waging against McCain. Witness today’s ad blasting McCain on his many houses.
Lesson: little angry old men in lots of glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.